How to file a car insurance claim
Getting involved in an accident can be truly frustrating and then having to deal with the insurance company is never an easy task. Filing your car insurance claim would be a lot easier if you are aware of the right procedure. So, to speed up the process of filing a claim, it is best to be prepared.
Steps to filing your car insurance claim
The following are the 5 important steps that you should follow if you get involved in an accident and want to file a car insurance claim for the same:
- Analyze your coverage – It is important to analyze your policy coverage even before you think of filing a claim. At times it is advisable not to file a car insurance claim and keep your insurance record clean. If you can afford to pay for the damages, it is better to stay away from filing a claim. If the damages are too minor, you might end up paying a greater deductible.
- Survey the situation – It is important to survey the accident scene. Make proper note of the damages caused to the car and decide whether or not to call the police to file a report.
- Share information – It is very important to share all the necessary information with the other driver. You need to exchange the information of car insurance company and phone number, insurance policy number, make and model of the cars and your and other driver’s phone number and name. This information will be necessary to file a car insurance claim.
- Contact your insurance company – It is important to contact your insurance company as soon as possible. You may call the insurance company right from the scene itself. Regardless of who is at fault, it is always better to file a claim with your own insurance company as you’ll have a greater chance of getting the services readily.
- Negotiate with the company – There is no need for you to hurry. Take your time and negotiate with the company till you are fully satisfied with the compensation you will receive for your car insurance claim.
If you follow the steps mentioned above, filing a claim will get easier than ever.